Anyone who can spell ‘google’ can tell you there’s talk on the web about Obama taking or not taking (y)our guns.
Obviously if/when this is attempted it won’t be the Annointed One himself knocking on doors or storming evil separatist compounds. All the legwork will be done by some ‘Agency’; police, FBI, marshals, sheriff, military, or the oft mentioned, soon to be formed, Obama civilian force.
Logically, the main reason to form a new civilian force is to accomplish something the other forces can’t or won’t do. Additionally, the only reason to be as well funded and as well armed as the military, is to fight the military.
There’s really only one reason to fight the military. The military is no longer under your control.
When you are a member of some force/agency there are occasionally moments when you are forced to assess your orders and determine their legality/morality. You are then forced to take a stand and commit yourself either to stand against the orders or follow the orders. One or both paths can lead to court martial, prison, discharge, etc.
So, if you believe there is a need to form a military level civilian force, you believe there is a need to enforce your will on a military that has stood up and said “We refuse to follow that order, Sir.”
Now, there is not much reason to be ordering the military around within our borders. Unless of course you need the military to enforce your will on a LEO agency who just stood up and said “We refuse to follow that order, Sir.”
This begs the question, what would the gov’mnt want the police to do, nationwide, that they would refuse to do?
Logically, if it is a national level task, then it must be a violation of the constitution.
With the media solidly in the gov’mnt’s pocket there is not a whole lot they need to fear from the general public. We have the freedom of speech and assembly, but with biased or no media coverage, who will hear?
The most likely issue to be infringed by the gov’mnt that a large portion of the public will oppose is the right to keep and bear arms. At some point the average plumber Joe will get angry with the gradual erosion of our personal liberties and freedom. At some point they will get angry enough to resist. The question is: Will the LEO’s and military refuse the order to disarm them?
If the order gets refused, and it will, and the military is on OUR side; how far down the line do we have to go before we find a commander in chief who’s not a gun grabber?
The Presidential Line of Succession as of 2008 is as follows: (Conservapedia.com)
- 1. Vice President of the United States (Dick Cheney)
- 2. Speaker of the House of Representatives (Nancy Pelosi)
- 3. President pro tempore of the Senate (Robert Byrd)
- 4. Secretary of State (Condoleezza Rice)
- 5. Secretary of the Treasury (Henry Paulson)
- 6. Secretary of Defense (Robert Gates)
- 7. Attorney General (Michael Mukasey)
- 8. Secretary of the Interior (Dirk Kempthorne)
- 9. Secretary of Agriculture (Ed Schafer)
- NA Secretary of Commerce (Carlos Gutierrez)
- NA Secretary of Labor (Elaine Chao)
- 10. Secretary of Health and Human Services (Mike Leavitt)
- 11. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development (Steve Preston)
- 12. Secretary of Transportation (Mary Peters)
- 13. Secretary of Energy (Samuel Bodman)
- 14. Secretary of Education (Margaret Spellings)
- 15. Secretary of Veterans Affairs (James Peake)
- 16. Secretary of Homeland Security (Michael Chertoff)
These people are anticipated to hold places in the line of succession following the 2009 inauguration of Barack Obama and their confirmation.
|Colors in the above table denote political party affiliations:||Republican||,||Democrat||, and||Independent|